"A Catechist is faith, hope, and love attached to arms, legs, aches and pains, family duties and not enough time.
A Catechist is an ordinary person who is extraordinary because he or she teaches as Jesus did.
A Catechist is faithful to the past, open to the future, but especially dedicated to
deepening the faith of the present generation."
~from the poem, “A Catechist Is”
by Monsignor John Francis Murphy
____ Registered member at St. Frances Cabrini Catholic Church for at least six
months or transferring from another parish where you were registered
for at least 1 year.
____ Pray about whether or not you would like to join this ministry.
____ Contact the Faith Formation Office via phone or email to schedule an
appointment for an interview with the Director of Faith Formation.
____ Complete a Covered Volunteer Application. (normally receive at the
interview) Once the application is accepted please follow the steps below.
____ Fingerprinting information will be given at your meeting.
____ Complete a Safe Environment Training session at cmgconnect.org
Once the above is all completed and results received in the Faith Formation
office you will be invited to a Catechist orientation
Responsibilities: Tasks to be performed
• Teach/facilitate the faith formation program
• Use and adapt the faith formation materials provided
• Evaluate the faith formation materials
• Support the Faith formation department in implementing the program
• Report to the DRE or CFF on the progress of the program
Qualifications: Abilities Needed
• Faith that manifests itself in your daily life
• Love for the Church and communion with its pastors
• Apostolic spirit and missionary zeal
• Willingness to give generous service
• Competence in using the shared Christian teachings.
• Skills in using multimedia in a learning program
• Willingness and ability to speak with conviction about his or
her own experiences and convictions as a Catholic Christian
• Understanding adolescent growth and development, especially faith growth
• Leading a group discussion and facilitate faith sharing activities
• Understanding the content of the course
• Willingness to continue to learn about our faith
Length of Commitment and Time Required
• At Least one year, preferably two years.
• Service from: August -May
• Preparation Time: Approximately 1 hour per week
• Class Time: 1 day a week, 1 hour and 15 minute class. Please allow an addition-
al 10-15 minutes before and after class for preparation, dismissal, and restoring
classroom for the next class to use
• Planning meeting in August , Orientation meeting in end of August and catechist
recharge day twice a year.
• We will provide opportunities for catechetical development throughout the
year. We highly encourage all active Catechists to attend these seminars. As a
Catechist we are called to ongoing spiritual formation.
Director of Faith Formation/Sacrament Preparation
Laura Rivera - firstname.lastname@example.org
Faith Formation Administration Assistant